Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Wedding Vignettes: Banglemania



Bangles and handbags. My two obsessions. I collect them like Carrie Bradshaw collects Manolo Blahniks. What is really weird is that with safe deposits and drawers full of them, I rarely change either.

A few years ago, I switched from wearing the traditional gold bangles seen on quasi every Indian woman’s hands, to wearing silver bangles bought in bygone days. While in college, I received an allowance of twenty rupees, half of which was spent at Chida Kashi, conveniently located across the street from Elphinstone. Now ten rupees in Bombay wouldn’t buy you a grain of rice and beggars will throw the note back at you in disgust (true story).

My handbags I rarely change because I am just too lazy to go ferret them out of the cavernous drawers in my closet. Plus I am petrified at what petrified remains of a granola bar or Starburst I may find at the bottom.

But back to bangles, or bracelets as we call them here. Apparently the ones in the safe deposit are not fancy enough for today’s youth, and since I was not prepared to sell the house to buy real ones, off we went to the highly-recommended Ambica Bangles at Shivranjani Crossroads.

The owner Munish is a delightful young man who helped find the right bangles for two people who were stupid enough not to bring the outfits to match. The salesman Bharat patiently pulled out box after box for two people who were also ignorant enough not to know what size they wore.

While we were trying on the bangles, we chattered away as I am wont to do with anyone who breathes (and at times even with anything that doesn’t). I expressed an interest on Gujarat ‘kahevat’ and mentioned it was absolutely impossible to find a book on the same. They suggested going to this Crossroad and that Crossroad and even the bookstore Crosswords (who are way too focused on Western literature).

After a week, when we returned to the store to buy the rest of the bangles (since we were now smart enough to know what outfits we were going to wear) we had a pleasant surprise ... that touched me deeply.

Bharat said he had something for me from Munish, reached under the counter and ... there was a book on Gujarati kahevat. I cannot guarantee he will give all those who go there this book, but he will give you the best darn service and the most beautiful bangles ever.

Address:

AMBICA Bangles
110, Silicon Valley, Shivranjani Cross Road, Satellite, Ahmedabad, 380015

Tel: 79 2676 7351

No comments:

Post a Comment