Thursday, July 28, 2011

A Baadha-A-Month






I was beginning to pinch more than an inch. The muffin tops had swelled to inner-tube proportions and with every step undulated in slo-mo waves. It was time to do something. Something drastic. Something excrutiating.

It was time to cut out the chocolate. (Insert blood-curdling scream).

Well, if I was going to cut out chocolate, why not all sweets. I mean, if you are going to cut off a finger, why not the whole arm. Ok, so this explains why I failed Logic in my sophomore year. And all this time, I blamed Professor ‘Black Crow’. My Elphinstone College alumni will surely remember him:
Crows are black.
Swaminathan is black.
Therefore Swaminathan is a crow.

I know, I know, college humor has come a long way since then.

The One Month of no delightful, saccharine confection  was more painful for the husband, who has an umbilical cord connection to the sugar bowl. Thirty days passed slowly (and sugarlessly), the inner tubes went back to looking like muffin tops and life went on.

And then I started thinking of doing another “One Month” deal, except why torture myself this time? After all, I deserved a reward for knocking off one whole pound. Hmm... how about one month of A Movie A Day. The son had just signed up for a Netflix account, and in true desi style, I thought I should vasoolofy the one month free trial membership.

So followed one month of streaming movies and watching them on my iPad. Most were good, only because I chucked out the bad ones within ten minutes. Hey! have improved. I used to be a lot more uncharitable and intolerant, and barely give them a chance five minutes past the titles ...

So, here is a list of the movies I saw. Caveat: No money-back guarantees. Also, I am into the weirder-the-better, independent kinda foreign movies. No fantasy, no Big Production, no sci-fi. Mention Julia Roberts or Tom Hanks, Aniston, Depp or Stiller and you're outta here before the titles even start.

1. No One Killed Jessica
2. Guzaarish
3. Life in a ... Metro
4. The Sicialian Girl
5. Sabah
6. 7 Khoon Maaf
7. The Red Balloon
8. The God Who Wasn’t There
9. PrĂȘte-Moi Ta Main
10. Freakanomics
11. Mumbai Meri Jaan
12. Les Poupées Russes
13. Road, Movie
14. Alles Auf Zucker
15. A Wednesday
16. Oye, Lucky, Lucky, Oye
17. Dear God
18. Inform and Delight
19. Maria Larsson’s Everlasting Moments
20. A Song for Martin
21. Passionada
22. Prague Duet
23. Hawaii, Oslo
24. Angela
25. Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead
26. Autumn Spring
27. Vanished Empire
28. Inch’Allah Dimanche
29. Tuya’s Marriage
30. Turtles Can Fly

Since the movies did not take up more than two hours of my time, and I have OCD when it comes to cleaning and organizing, I started sorting all my albums and photographs the rest of the day. I discovered I have 40+ albums, so next month, I will do an Album-A-Day and blog the contents daily, with trips down memory lane and foreign countries. Friends and Family will be featured on a regular basis. Unflattering portraits will (try to) be censored.

And now, excuse me, I hear some Lindt calling my name.

No comments:

Post a Comment