Tuesday, September 7, 2010

My Foi



My father had two sisters - the older one we called Anandfoi, who lived in Gujarat and who we did not see too often. The younger Madrasfoi we saw at least twice a year, if not more.

She accompanied us on our summer vacations, while winter vacations were always spent at her house. We loved the trips to Madras, and we loved my beautiful aunt even more - she, inheriting all the softness and kindness from her mother, but regrettably none of her steeliness, which could have stood her in good stead in the past. She cried with joy when we arrived and cried with sadness when we left.

With five cousins to play with, a huge house with a garden, a gooseberry tree to climb, idlis for breakfast and dosas for dinner, we had the time of our lives. Evenings were spent on Marina Beach eating raw mangoes covered with salt and lime juice. There was unlimited papad, or papadums, as they were called in the South - papad that didn’t come in a store-bought, cellophaned package, but from under Foi’s hands. She would sit on the floor, her trusted servant Kutiamma next to her, kneading the hard-as-a-rock dough and rolling out hundreds of chili-flaked, paper-thin delights. Running up and snatching gobs of the raw stuff, we would disregard her warnings of a stomachache from eating the uncooked dough, and then enjoy them on the swing.

The yearly trips to Madras always included a side-trip to the Tirupati Temple; a twofold objective achieved by having good fun and building up good karma in the same vacation. In Tirupati, the priests told us that if we shaved our heads and rolled around the temple four times, it would guarantee us being reincarnated in a superior form. This concept, however appealing, usually left us open-mouthed and grossed out at the guileless devotees who did believe it. I would take my karmic chances by coming back in my next life as an ant, and even take the risk of being stepped on, as opposed to being bald in this one, rolling around on floors littered with remnants of prasad, crushed flower petals and dirty water.

I can totally understand how it got to be the richest temple in the world...the capitalist idea of giving people a Front-of-the-Line Pass by paying more money, copyrighting the Ladoo prasad, earning millions for the temple treasury from the hair tonsuring and paying for viewing and participating in various sevas. The crores that these temples spend on covering the gopurams with gold, beggars belief (the Mahalaxmi Temple at Vellore has a gold one worth over $ 120 million). While I realize that they do do charity, you could build a lot more hospitals and schools and feed more of the hungry masses. My humble suggestion would be: Leave the gilding and pay more of it forward, folks!!

While in Madras, my penchant for learning languages ever present, I picked up a few basic words of Tamil: yepdi irke, nalla irke, tanni kunda wa! being the most useful. The most fun was when I was driving. One hand on the wheel, one head out the window, I would yell maniacally: “Korung! Seth ponu?” at jaywalkers, but the warning - asking a monkey if it had a death wish - went unheeded. A good sign that a man was going to dash across the road, was when he would pick up his lungi and tuck it into his waistband. Wenda! and Po! came handy, when telling the vendors, who came by the dozens up to the gate, offering us a variety of items, like fried, circular murrukku and the spicy avakai pickle, all of which we said we didn’t want, and to please go away, our Foi making the best of anything and everything.

In the early 40s, Foi was married and lived in Dadar, a suburb of Bombay. In the apartment next door lived a young girl who she befriended and even took with her on a trip to Baroda. Who was to know the young Geeta Roy would become famous and marry Guru Dutt. Another close family friend was the actress Shashikala, who would call on Foi every time she came for a shooting to Madras and make her take her shopping.

Everyone has a role model in their life. Mine is my Foi. If I could even have half her qualities, I would come out ahead. As I think of her now, I vow that my next trip will include going to Madras to give her an extra special hug. This time it will be me who will cry with joy when I go, and cry with sadness when I leave.

6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful ode to Foi! Made me cry! I couldn't agree more with your wish for her to be your role model! Make that 2 of us! I love her so much! Shall accompany you to Madras when you go to see her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It made me cry too. I feel privileged that I can still spend time with her. Will give her a hug from both of you.

    Remember Conoor - one month with Ba, 8 perpetually hungry kids, Vishnu, Sweety and Rita !! I wonder how she managed.

    When are you coming ?? Make sure you can spend time with me too. Will show this to her when she comes home next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely insights into a beautiful person, both inside and out! During my middle and high school years, I literally lived in Raksha's house. When I walked through the door, Aunty would always envelop me in a warm hug , her gentle,caring eyes filled with unreserved welcome. She extended this affection to every member of my family. She included me in everything that was going on in Raksha's household - and there was always plenty of excitement- chatter about new films,the Nahatas and the menus at Geetha Hotel! Aunty's culinary skills transformed me from a scrawny teenager into a curvaceous young lady! In later years, the first dish that I attempted to make was "Khadi"; it was Aunty's gastronomic delights that led me to discover the joys of cooking and eating.A visit to Cheenai is never complete without seeing her. , and my two girls enjoy her hospitality! We hug, laugh and she calls me "beta" , and together we take a flight back in time! Aunty, you will always have a special place in my heart.


    Love,

    Geetha (Raksha's friend from childhood ! )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cant forget aunty, bharti you also . Always remember the time we came to bombay and stayed at your place.I cannot forget PJ uncle and his hospitality ,his down to earth attitude. No pride and always smiling. Sheila ben your cook a lady not forgotten.
    about aunty i cannot forget her dhoklas hot and steaming,handvos, pickles, amti etc all mouth watering. Raksha Renu Kartik, Nina ben Varsha and bharti Love to all. I hope you remember me. Rajshri nahata (munni).LOve take care. Childhood memories will not be forgotten. rajshri1812@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Bharatiben for putting up this blog, as we get a chance to express ourselves here. I came to this family when I was just 20, and had no idea about cooking and she taught me and Rakshaben together.... she had a charisma which drew people to her, and remembered her. She left this world with her dignity which we girls have to be grateful.

    She will always live with us as our mentor.

    She worked on crochet over the last twenty odd years of her life, We in reality thought it was a way to pass her time- keep her busy. But today looking at her work we realize that every single member of her family owns a piece of her, as a legacy. Knowingly unknowingly she has always been there for us and kept great memories.

    Daksha

    ReplyDelete